The ability to implement effective marketing is what differentiates thriving businesses of any size from struggling ones. There are a number of marketing techniques small businesses can use, but making sure to use the right tactics will save your business time and can also reduce marketing costs by an estimated 15-20%. Below are some best practices all local businesses should adhere to:
1. Automate, Automate, Automate!
- Automate Reviews: 88% of customers say they trust an online testimonial as much as a personal recommendation. Often, customers want to leave positive reviews, but aren’t actually asked to do so. Marketing automation tools like Signpost can automatically prompt users who had a positive experience to submit reviews, which it will collect these and post to all relevant channels. For customers who had a negative experience, Signpost will ask them to provide commentary, then automatically forward this information to the business owner so they can address concerns–discouraging clients from posting negative reviews online. Automatic management of reviews continuously attracts new clients while keeping current ones feeling involved and satisfied.
- Automate Social Media: Social media is an important digital avenue for businesses of all sizes to engage with current and potential customers. Automating the process means small businesses can effectively get their message out to their audience, without having to think about all day about tweets or posts.
- Automate Email: Sending regular, targeted emails is perhaps the most impactful strategy a small business can employ, with one study showing that email marketing is 40 times more successful in converting customers than Facebook and Twitter combined. Email marketing can educate your customer about your product and services, in addition to positioning you as an expert in your field and offering loyalty discounts, all of which drive more purchases. With a marketing automation system like Signpost, the marketing engines start up immediately and begin compiling important customer data essential for targeting customers through email. Automation tools will also give valuable analytic insights to how your customers are reacting to emails and brand.
2. Encourage Word-of-Mouth Referrals:
Even in today’s fast-paced digital age, word-of-mouth referrals carry a lot of weight; 85% of small business owners claim that this is the best way to attract new clients. While digital tools obviously can’t directly create word-of-mouth recommendations, a robust cloud-based CRM system like Signpost’s can help small businesses to build a loyal customer following through the automated tools above, which in turn will generate real-life referrals and ultimately more traffic.
When choosing amongst marketing strategies and technologies, one final helpful tip is to think not solely of your business’s current needs, but also needs it may have in the future as it grows. For more strategies, best practices, and details on how to make your local business’s marketing efforts their most efficient and productive, click here to download Signpost’s latest guide “6 Top Tactics for Marketing Your Local Business.”